Tuesday, January 30, 2007

An Awesome Heroes


Chapter 13, "The Fix" (I like using the name every week because the show so clearly tries to construct each episode as if it were an individual comic issue) was a total placeholder. Watching last week's previews, I was excited for this week (apparently it takes very little to excite me for a Heroes episode), and watching next week's previews, I'm excited for next week. I hope, however, that they won't save all the good stuff until the last three minutes as they did here. And speaking of the last three minutes, is anyone else glad there wasn't a closing voice-over to end the episode? Those are just getting more mind-boggling by the week.

So yeah, a placeholder. It was definitely a time for parents, though, more so than in previous eps: H.R.G. and his continuing deception of Claire, who is on the hunt for her real mother and father; D.L. trying to be a good dad and coming up short; Hiro's pop making an appearance; and Matt finding out he's going to be one. Speaking of them, how is Janice still with Matt? I am growing increasingly bored with their storyline. However, I'm sure she's in some sort of state of disbelief about the fact that her husband is a mind reader. Also, is the baby even Matt's?

How hilarious were Hiro and Ando yesterday? It was funny watching them hide from their pursuers, yet I was confused as to how they first were completely surrounded by people hunting them down in an enclosed parking garage, yet they still ended up hiding undetected under a car. Did I miss something? Anyway, they got caught. I was happy to see Hiro run back for his dear friend and throw himself into what could have been a dangerous situation. They eventually discovered right at the end that Hiro's father, played by George Takei, was behind the pursuing. I have another theory about this, could Hiro's dad be the so far unseen Linderman?

Sylar was still in captivity and at the brink of death. I find it interesting that he was able to easily fake his death. Is that some sort of power he has? Or did he die, but fix himself? Who didn't cheer when Sylar confronted H.R.G. with that creepy "How's Claire?" line. I can't wait to see what happens with him. Also, what was that weird metallic shine on the back of Sylar's head? Speaking of H.R.G, I'm sure we all waffle back and forth in terms of what we think H.R.G.'s motivations are, but when he told his daughter, "Whether you're 16, or 32, or 64, I will be there for you. Always," I believed the guy. He seems to really be a good dad, despite the whole memory-erasure thing.

I also thought Peter's story continues to get more and more interesting. According to Mohinder, Peter is like a sponge and could get dangerous as he absorbs more and more powers. Does this mean Peter keeps the powers he absorbs and he just hasn't figured it out yet? I like the addition of the invisible man, Claude Rains. It's cool to see Peter have a mentor-type since it's clear his brother won't be filling that position. Peter's "I found you for a reason: I think you teach me how to stop this" is a typical Heroes line. It will be great to see Cluade help Peter and to learn more about him and how long he has had his powers.

I also like how Niki's story is moving along. I'm getting the impression that her power isn't having a dual personality and that she is just a little crazy. I think her power is her super strength that only comes out when the other personality emerges. I think she just needs to learn that she doesn't need to be Jessica to handle tough situations because she can do that on her own. I did get annoyed with D.L. though. He got so whiny about having to do things on his own, when Niki was able to make it on her own, something Micah made clear to him. Also, who didn't love it when little Micah started using his machine-manipulation power to rob ATMs?

Our Claire sure is a little Nancy Drew. After grilling the Haitian, she was able to have more information to assist her in finding her mother which she did right at the end. I got a little giddy when she told her she was her mother and more so when she lit that cigarette with her fingers. Apparently it runs in Claire's family. Next week, we learn the identity of Claire's father. When Claire's mother calls a man to say that their daughter has found her, I think that it will turn out to be Nathan.

No comments: