
So last night, the 64th Annual Golden Globes aired and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I was soooo happy that Ugly Betty was named Best Comedy and that America Ferrera (Betty) won Best Actress in a Comedy. I felt like tearing up with her as she gave her acceptance speech. The not-at-all-ugly, newly minted TV icon thanked the Globes voters for recognizing a character "who is truly bringing a new face to television." She added, "It is such an honor to play a role that I hear from young girls on a daily basis how it makes them feel worthy and lovable and that they have more to offer the world than they thought."
I was also happy to see that Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep were honored for their work in The Queen and The Devil Wears Prada, respectively. Meryl also gave a funny speech, wrapping up with her character's catchphrase, "That's all." Sacha Baron Cohen was also named Best Actor in a Comedy. His hilarious acceptance speech involved a long, vulgar, hilarious anecdote about his movie's notorious nude-wrestling scene, dwelling on costar Ken Davitian's private parts, particularly his "wrinkled golden globes."
Another win I was happy to see was Jennifer Hudson, who won Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for Dreamgirls. "I have always dreamed, but never, ever this big... ever," said an emotional Jennifer. The first-time film actress became the evening's first winner when George Clooney presented her with her trophy for. "You do not know how much this does for my confidence," she said. She closed with a gracious nod to Florence Ballard, the unsung Supremes singer who inspired Hudson's character. Another great moment was when Justin Timberlake presented Best Original Song to an MIA Prince. The quick-thinking Timberlake got a laugh when he accepted the award on Prince's behalf, dropping into a crouch behind the microphone to approximate Prince's stature.
Of course, I was so happy that Grey's Anatomy won Best Drama, even though they beat out my new favorite show, Heroes. Not even creator Shonda Rimes could believe it when her show was named Best Drama Series. "As every single intern at Seattle Grace Hospital would say, 'Seriously?'" said Shonda, as her show's vast cast crowded the stage. She had plenty of people to thank but couldn't help but be distracted by the luminaries in the crowd: "I'm staring at Jack Nicholson and Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty," Rhimes said. "This is surreal." However, I was a little upset that none of the actors won. Especially Katherine Heigl (Izzie) who was amazing during Denny's illness and death.
Here is a full list of winners:
MOVIES
BEST MOTION PICTURE DRAMA
Babel
BEST MOTION PICTURE MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Dreamgirls
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE DRAMA
Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE DRAMA
Helen Mirren, The Queen
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Sacha Baron Cohen, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
BEST DIRECTOR
Martin Scorsese, The Departed
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Cars
BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
Letters From Iwo Jima
BEST SCREENPLAY
The Queen
ORIGINAL SCORE
The Painted Veil
ORIGINAL SONG
"The Song of the Heart," Happy Feet
TV
BEST DRAMA TV SERIES
Grey's Anatomy
BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Hugh Laurie, House
BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
BEST MUSICAL OR COMEDY TV SERIES
Ugly Betty
BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL OR COMEDY TV SERIES
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL OR COMEDY TV SERIES
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A SERIES, MINISERIES, OR TV MOVIE
Jeremy Irons, Elizabeth I
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A SERIES, MINISERIES, OR TV MOVIE
Emily Blunt, Gideon's Daughter
BEST MINISERIES OR TV MOVIE
Elizabeth I
BEST ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR TV MOVIE
Bill Nighy, Gideon's Daughter
BEST ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OR TV MOVIE
Helen Mirren, Elizabeth I
1 comment:
You are so totally on target about America Ferrera's acceptance speech... it was emotional, and poignant. Ugly Betty, is my favorite show this season, with Heroes a close second.
Can you tell me what the f*ck was up with Warren Beatty? We he so damn drunk? He babbled, and was incoherent, and was pretty embarrassing. Poor Annette.
I wasn't home in time to see Jennifer Hudson win, but will watch it on Tivo later. Don't you think it's fitting that she was honored just the night before the next season of American Idol premieres?
My favorite part, however, was when they came back from a break, and had the camera on Will Smith giving his autograph to 2 young fans - surely, in a crowded room of egos, was gracious and unexpected.
Post a Comment