
This episode was the second half of a two-parter, the first half which was pretty good itself. I hope you were as pleased as I was that this week the show's writers concentrated on putting us viewers on the express train to waterworks central. The plotlines were intense. There was one big heaping scoop of death, the token dollop of sexual tension, a splash of insomnia, and a nutty assortment of smaller issues. Let's start with death.
Mr. O'Malley was not doing well from the start. In typical fashion, they were able to squeeze in a bit of comic relief in brother O'Malley's issue with flatulence. "I'm nervous," he said, after ripping a big one. Later, George, who had been skeptical of his fellow docs all along, learned that his father had asked Bailey and the Chief to remove the tumor under any circumstances. Since Bailey had promised George last week that she would "give it to him straight," he shouted at the two surgeons loudly in front of everyone in a very emotional scene. In the end, George became the man of the house by making the decision to take his father off life support. There were many Kleenex-grabbing moments surrounding this, the kicker being the final goodbye when the Mrs. pressed her face against her husband's.
Meredith had an epiphany during Mr. O'Malley's decline. "George's dad is going into renal failure," she said. "My dad's here, everywhere, every day. He's perfectly healthy, and I have nothing to say to him." That's because he's an idiot. "He's a stammering, mumbling, clumsy disaster," she'd observed at the beginning of the episode. Despite what Cristina and Izzie said, I don't think Meredith is anything like her father. She does tend to make everything about her, and when she's in high gear, she can go on and on. But I think she's pretty put together. At least they do have something in common. "I snore like a trucker," Thatcher said. "You get that from me. The wax earplugs work pretty good." Of course, Meredith brings some home to her McDreamy.
Meanwhile, Burke and Yang continued to act like children in their relationship, which Meredith described as one "with no words." Burke finally broke their silence when he told Derek, in Yang's presence, that he hadn't had a tremor all week. I imagine their telepathic apology went something like this: "Um, this is stupid. George's father just died. Life is too short. Don't ever not talk to me again. I heart you. [Sniff. Sniff.]"
Now onto the McSteamy and Addison debacle. Addison basically ralphed a confession all over Callie: "I aborted Mark's baby." Ouch. It turns out that while she was wigging out about the pregnancy, McSteamy went out and bought a Yankees onesie and a calendar. "And the due date was today," Addison added. Mark was upset. He acted like he'd taken the high road by wanting to play McDaddy, but then Addison struck back at him with a teensy bit of knowledge: She told him she knew he had slept with a nurse, if not many other women, after their date of conception. Addison, who can be so good at pouring salt in a wound, added: "I did want a baby; I just didn't want one with you." Double Ouch. However, I'm still trying to figure out what is Mark's deal. It's hard to get a read on him. What's he really about? This fake niceness?
As for the Addison-Karev fling, I think it's hot. I once despised Addison. She did show up at Seattle Grace from New York, after all, acting like a beeyotch after she'd cheated on her man. But I've come to love her personality and dramatic facial expressions. As long as Karev continues to ride on his nice-guy, bad-guy roller coaster, I wish them the best. I wonder how the others will take it.
In other news, the Grey baby is recovering well. She had her first poop. Also, Izzie footed the bill for the VATER girl. I thought it was totally predictable yet sweet. I also liked at the end when Izzie told Bailey that she is both a surgeon and a person who gets emotionally involved. Go Izzie! What made the moment even better is that Bailey herself had gotten emotionally involved with Mr. O'Malley and broke down in tears.
Last week promises that the last 5 minutes will be major and I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment