Friday, February 09, 2007

Beautiful Disaster


So, how awesome was Grey's Anatomy last night? Last night was the first-of-three extra-special Grey's. I'm pressed for time so this will be quicker than usual.

This show is too good. This three-episode arc looks like it will incredible in typical Grey's fashion. The show always manages to mix the snappy, human, sexy, and frivolous while our favorite doctors go out and save countless bleeders, burn victims, catatonic children, and men trapped under cars whose dripping blood artfully mixes with dripping water leaks. I have been looking forward to this "Grey's Anatomy Event" since last week's preview. I couldn't wait to see what made the interns and Bailey drop their jaws. It turned out to be a busted ferry that had been clipped by a container ship in the fog and burst into flames. Bodies were everywhere, burned and bloody.

The show was able to mix in its regular frothy Grey's melodrama as the doctors saved lives. The central relationships were in trouble. Burke got testy because Cristina is reluctant to tell anyone about their engagement. In her defense, she did try to tell Meredith before she left but wasn't able to. Then Derek is wondering why he found Meredith hanging out under the water in her bathtub like a crazy person. Thinking she knew about Burke and Christina's engagement, he asked her if she was acting strange because she wants to get married. Earlier on, there was a funny scene in the elevator with Derek, Burke, Addison, Mark, and the Chief. It seems the Chief dyed his hair to cover the gray to compensate for his divorce. Later, Addison compliments the Chief on his attractive new dyed hair, and shares a story about how she went blond after Derek left her.

Karev rescued and then bonded with a pregnant lady buried under a pylon who was also suffering from hypothermia. I thought his little subplot was sweet. Izzie went back to being a doctor and tried to save a man trapped under a car. She was clearly overwhelmed by the situation. Meredith took charge of a strange little girl while caring for an injured man. I started to think that maybe the girl was a figment of her imagination representing her and her fears perhaps. Then in th final moments of this episode, Meredith got shoved into the harbor by the convulsing guy she was treating at dock's edge. That was the cliff-hanger. The preview for next week's episode has her bobbing sleekly underwater.

1 comment:

Random Thinker said...

I don't know about Grey's, Jay.

First, let me confess. I am not a Grey's watcher. I've seen a few episodes, but haven't been "hooked."

But when I was watching last night's episode, it all felt like deja vu all over again. And I realized that much of what we saw was from past episodes of ER. OK, sure, there was no ferry boat accident, but ER docs go to scene of accident, each with their own little story line.

And, what I thought about Grey being pusheed into the water - well, unless the show's been cancelled, you can be sure she'll be rescued and survive. I mean, it's not O'Malley's Anatomy. The writers might have added more suspense if one of the other characters (perhaps McDreamy) had fallen in.

OK, another admission, I'm going to watch next week too!